Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

My second commission of my mother

Hi Friends

When I was  a little girl, I used to snoop through everything, in my mother's closet.  One day I happened upon a shoebox full of sepia toned images on heavy card-stock and also black & white polaroids.  So many faces, so many people I didn't know anything about, but I wanted to know. 
This was one of those photos in the box, and for some reason I can't fathom, the little girl in the closeup, fascinated me.  Her face was so soft, so angelic yet soulful.  I'm sorry, but I don't know the identities of these people, I only know they are family.  If and when I get them identified, I'll post about them again.


This little girl fascinated me so much, I just hoped and prayed that some day I'd have a little girl that looked just like her.  I bugged my mom for quite some time, in 1977 when I was 17, to draw a picture of the little girl for me, and she did.  I just knew that some day I'd have a little girl just like her.  Well folks................


This is my little daughter Caitlin, when she was about 4-5 years old in 1993-1994.  About the same age as the little girl in the picture, and don't they look alike?  I got my wish and a beautiful piece of artwork by my mom, too!
My daughter Caitlin is now all grown up and will turn 22 this June, but almost every time I look at her, I see this little girl and remember the drawing and how a dreaming heart got it's wish.  This is Caitlin today:


She's stunning in her natural beauty, and always has a ready smile.  She's currently studying to be a dental hygienist, and should be graduating this coming fall/winter.  I'm very proud of all my children and next up will be my youngest, Abby and some current artwork she's done.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoyed this little jaunt into my history.

Hugs,
Meri

18 comments:

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Oh my goodness.....the resemblance is uncanny. And you say you don't know who that little girl is? Oh..please tell us if you find out. Happy Sunday...:) p.s. And your daughter is beautiful!

Sandy said...

Meri,
WOW....didn't know this one! Spooky! And the young man in the back, second from the left....he looks like your family too! Not sure who, maybe a male Lin???? Wow
Your genes go way back kiddo! ANd keep repeating the same looks. Great post!

Sandy said...

Meri,
I just figured it out, the young man looks just like Bryan Phillips! My gosh! Lin's son! WOW!

Nan said...

That's an amazing story. Your daughter Caitlin is just gorgeous. She does look like the drawing and old photo.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

So glad I stopped by to read this one!!! You're so right. The resemblance is uncanny!!!
And your Caitlin...an absolute beauty. Thanks for sharing this with us.
M.L.

Melody said...

Isn't that neat. Can't say they were found on the doorstep. I have an old tin-type that my Momther-in-law gave me that the young girl looks just like one the neices. Whats really facinating is this neice doesn't look like anyone in the family today, but she is a double for this long-ago relative.
Another oil portrait my Great-Aunt has is of some great-great-Aunt, well the girl is the spitting image of my Cousin. It Always freaked her out. And, to our astonishment a photo that was found a few years ago of my Grandpa..Dad's Dad...taken when he was 18....it could've been my Dad in the pic.It looks like the same person at 18! Isn't it something how God knits and weaves us all together!

Claudia said...

Hello Meri! That little girl in the photo is stunning - I can see why you couldn't take your eyes off her. I was going to say she looks like a young Natalie Wood (as she was in Miracle on 34th St.) Your daughter does resemble her, Meri! (And she is lovely.)

xo
Claudia

Jan (J.T.) Thomason said...

it's amazing how much your daughter and the vintage picture of the little girl look alike. i so hope you are able to find out who she was!!
and, your daughter at 22 is gorgeous!

jan

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

What a wonderful story. Your daughter could be that girl in the drawing. Loved this post, your daughter is just beautiful.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

What a wonderful memory, dream, and outcome! Just amazing! And your daughter is absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing, Meri, and for your visit! So nice to hear from you! Hugs, Coralie

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Meri...
Oh Sweetie isn't that amazing? Somewhere in your family line, that little girl came back into Caitlin. She definitely looks like some family member from the past. The resemblance is uncanny for sure. I hope you find out one of these days.

Caitlin is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing with me this morning Meri. I love it when you do. Have a beautiful Monday sweetie. Country hugs and much love, Sherry

Anitra Cameron said...

She is so beautiful, and WOW--what a resemblance! I love the story....

And you are my partner in the Bunny Swap! Smiling hugely. =oD

Mollye said...

Hi Meri, She is gorgeous and I know you're proud of her and of all your youngins. Your mom was quite an artist too! XXMollye

Haddock said...

What a find.
Its always the small things like these that makes life wholesome.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Meri, Live Writer is just a way to spice up blogger a bit. You can go here to check it out.
http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/

I like it for uploading multiple photos at one time.

vivian said...

HI Meri, thanks for stopping by and for the very sweet comments! what a great story about the little girl in the picture. that is so cool that your mom drew the girl for you and that after all these years you still have it !
Also.. your daughter is gorgeous!
hugs
vivian

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello darling thanks so much for visiting my cottage and for the kind comment you left behind, much appreciated. Luv, your blog is bursting at the seams with creativity, colour and beauty. I am delighted that our blogs crossed, now I have a lovely world to visit on daily basis.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

HopHopJingleBoo said...

my you are lucky to have such a pretty daughter..her eyes..love looking at old photos too and collecting those poor orphan ones..been thinking how to do your 'tussie mussie' will start working on it over the weekend...