Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

My Love Story


Happy Valentine's Day!

This is my love story - In 1997 I was in the middle of a divorce from my first husband of 18 years, dating a co-worker that ended up dumping me, and spiraling ever downward into depression and thoughts of suicide.  My mental state was not sound, to say the least, and I harbored a huge grudge against men in general.  This was the dawn of computer dating and I went online with the idea of payback.  I was going to hurt someone, a man, as badly as I had been hurt.  My intentions were short lived.

My short bio was extremely honest, sarcastic, and to some extent rude, and wonder of all wonders I received 5 contacts.  In my bio I mentioned something to the effect that I was not a model and neither should they be one, I was (and still am) handicapped with chronic pain and mobility issues, and I actually thought I wouldn't get any responses at all.  The first four were typical guys, asking for pictures of me, and most likely lying about themselves.  I ignored them as I had mentioned in my bio that if you need a picture of me, then I have no need of ever meeting you.  The fifth respondent I couldn't ignore.

After chatting via email for a couple of days, we found that we had almost paralleled lifestyles, and we both had a love of England (although he actually had family there), and I threw out one of the most obscure and random bits of trivia as a question to him (I was actually testing his insider knowledge of England, testing his honesty).  I asked him if he'd ever had "Scrumpy?"  Scrumpy, otherwise known as local moonshine in the area of Devon, was said to be so strong that it could "take the paint off a side of a barn" and I loved the stuff!  You really had to either be English or have some intimate knowledge of England to know about Scrumpy.........well, 15 minutes after I sent him the query, he responded with an affirmative on knowing about Scrumpy, AND he included the recipe for brewing some up!!!!

It was love on the spot!  We finally met for lunch, and with his blazing blue eyes, which he couldn't take off of me, we (I) started to fall in love even more.  To this day he stands by the notion that he fell in love with me while emailing, I, on the other hand was a bit slower as I'd been so severely hurt in the past.  It took me over a year to admit to loving him, with the final clincher being when he proposed and apologized to me.

My man was moving fast and had forgotten to include me in all of his planning, which I took umbrage to and started feeling I was being taken for granted again.  When he proposed, kneeling, in the middle of downtown Tempe, Arizona, in front of many witnesses he handed me a stuffed "Scooby Doo" toy and around his neck was a beautiful sapphire ring with a design that denoted the year "2000" on the side.  As he handed Scooby to me, he apologized for moving so quickly and not even asking if I wanted to come along for the ride.  Usually, as a woman, you have to manipulate the man into apologizing for everything.........I didn't have to do anything. He apologized so sincerely, and I teared up and accepted this man as he had done the one thing no other man had ever done...............he apologized!  None of the men in my past had ever apologized for the hurt and the pain they had caused me (believe me there has been some bad doo doo in the past).

My husband, my love, my life and I have been together ever since, and we finally married in 2002 and spent our honeymoon in England.  This man swept me off my feet and has been carrying me ever since (no mean feat as I weigh a ton).  He's been my lover, my best friend, my everything, not to mention he's a freakin' genius!  This man is so intelligent, so passionate, so sweet, silly, handsome........so everything!
From wooing me with roses and balloons plastered all over my car, planting 7 rose bushes right outside my kitchen window on Valentines Eve (so that I would always have roses to look at), and always loving me no matter how crappy I am..........this man is my knight in shining armor, my hero, my everything.  Our love will last beyond eternity, it is a strong and wondrous love, a love forever.
I love you my life, have a beautiful day.


To the rest of you, I wish you the kind of love I've been fortunate enough to find in my lifetime.

Happy Valentine's Day

Hugs & Kisses
Meri

24 comments:

Pixie said...

Isn't it funny that ou can live almost parallel lives with someone and never even know it. You and I ...we have a shared history. I knew I loved you for some reason! Happy Valentine's Day my dear. Here's hoping you have many more wonderful years with that adorable hubby of yours!

Claudia said...

Aw Meri, what a beautiful, inspiring love story! I am so happy you found the man who could and did erase all the negative experiences with men from your past. He sounds like a wonderful guy. Happy Valentine's Day to you, my friend.

xo
Claudia

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

What a sweet story...and I have all ready heard the Scooby story from your hubby!! He and BrookieWolek have a common bond for Scooby Doo and they had a little chat over her collection! LOL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Kimmie said...

Lovely~!

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

What a wonderful story, and a wonderful man. Enjoy your day.

Victoria said...

Oh that's a wonderful story! He sounds like he's madly in love with you, it doesn't get any better than that!!! I must confess though, I am English and have never heard of Scrumpy!!! I'll ask my dad if he has but I've never heard him mention it! You learn something new everyday:) Have a lovely Valentine's Day with your man!

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

How wonderful that you found love almost by "mistake." He sounds like a true gem!

Happy Valentine's,
Jacalyn

Lynn said...

I think I can truly appreciate much of what you write. You can read my post to understand why. I find so much joy in your love story because I too found the love of my life after the worst times of my life. Your honeymoon in England! Oh I do hope you have pictures to share. I would so love to see them. I am your newest follower. Happy Valentines Day.

Shirley said...

Ahh...good thing you didnt give up and pass this great guy over..Cupid was working his magic the day you made that descision to go forward..Love was in the air..
Happy Valentine's Day..
Yours Sincerely,
Shirley

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a gem! I am so happy that you found one another.

My hubby was in the air force so we have been blessed to have lived in several places. We lived near Ramstein 2000~2003.

I have grabbed your button.

Leah C said...

Love conquers all:) Happy Hearts...

A Vintage Chic said...

What a wonderful love story, Meri! Thanks so much for sharing it sso beautifully and so honestly...he's a keeper!

Julie

Daniella said...

What a great story!! I love hearing about love connections like that! I to am disabled and have mobility issues,, so I know how hard it can be, and how honest you have to be up front. I think you are awesome!
xxDaniella

Angela said...

Very real and very sweet! Happy Valentines Day to you lovebirds!

animal print gal said...

It's funny how life works,ha? Great love story!

Mimi said...

WHAT A GREAT LOVE STORY!!
You give Ladies hope and a great possibility that LOVE can come to those who are looking!!!Or not looking!!
I loved this story!!!
So heartfelt and honest!!!|
Hugs 2 U,
jamie

Laura Knight said...

I'm so happy for you! You're so lucky to have found love like that. Great story, very cinematic.

margit said...

hi Meri,
Ifound your interesting blog via www... you have fun an cure sites!
I like your blog very well.
greetings from Austria
margit

Tamera @ the Stone Fence Cottage said...

Meri--what a wonderful story!! i married my best friend in 2004--after an 11 year friendship, one nasty divorce and engagement to another loser--i finally opened my eyes to Mr. Wonderful (I was a bit slow myself)

Cyn said...

First off..what an amazing love story! I love that you found such a great guy! 2nd I live in Arizona too! I am following your blog!! Yeah!

Cyn

Karen Valentine said...

OMG Meri! I was riveted to my chair! What an awesome story!!! I am so happy you both found each other! He sounds like such a wonderful man. I hope the two of you had a wonderful and romantic weekend!
xo,
Karen

very merry vintage style said...

What a beautiful love story! So glad you found your soulmate. Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!
Mary

Cheryl said...

Ahhhhhhhh what a great love story. Thanks for sharing :-)

Tracy Suzanne said...

Awww, that is such a beautiful story. You know there are people out there that have to be perfect for you but trying to find them is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. God is so wonderful. Thank the Lord you both found each other.

Have a blessed week...Tracy :)