Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Something Very Special

  
Hey Folks,
I'm dropping by to share some very special artwork with you.  As most of you know, I've been caring for my mom since June 2011.  She's been living with me since then and dealing with many life-threatening infections, as well as over 5 visits to the hospital.  Recently, she had been getting much better, gaining some weight back and we thought she was on the road to recovery, or at least getting closer to resuming her chemo treatments, and then last week she fell and broke her shoulder.  This has been a major setback, as she's totally dependent on me again.  Now most of you have written many comments on what a good daughter I am, well maybe so, but I know in my heart that everyone of you would do the same, and as a matter of fact some of you are, so although I thank you for your praise............I'm not so different than any of you.
I have been blessed these many months with spending very special, loving time, with my mother.  We've reminisced, sung old songs, played games and just chatted.  It's been alternately a challenge, frustrating, painful, poignant, and sad, and yet it's one of the greatest privileges I'll ever have.
Although I have so many posts waiting to be written about recent gifts, goodies I've gotten, goodies I've bought, and so forth, today I'd like to share artwork from my mother that is especially meaningful to me.  My mother is an accomplished artist in her own right in drawing, and watercolor painting.  Her past works have been awarded many ribbons in various judged art shows, as well as becoming private collection pieces throughout the country.  This collection I show you today starts back in the 1940's and continues through the first few years of her marriage in 1950.  She was just graduated from High School when she married, so as you'll notice these were drawn by a very young lady, in her teens, and lot's of fanciful vision.
As a child, growing up, the following sketches were hidden away in the very back of her closet, where I would sneak in, dig through, and unveil for my very own viewing pleasure.  There are many more sketches in this collection, which I now own, but these hold a particular fascination for me.  How many mothers out there sketched and colored beautiful princess gowns and bold, striking fashion designs?  Just knowing I have these pieces of my mothers creativity and passion, and will pass them down to my oldest daughter who loves them almost equally, just gives me the sweetest feeling.
Behold the timeless fashion styling of Dorie Johnson:
Attention, these are original, copyrighted works of art and belong to ImagiMeri's Creations.  Do not copy, do not use for any reason whatsoever. Thank you.












Now this one must have stuck in my memory
because I designed one of my sculpture creations
with this almost identical outfit, as seen here:



As you can see, my mother was a great artistic influence in my life.  These are her scanned, original works of art, that I now will have forever, thanks to today's miracle of technology.

I hope you enjoyed this little exhibit, and I will be posting about my trip to the "Phoenix Museum" next week.  My mother is doing better, but is still in a very critical stage.  Her arm is supported in a sling at this time, as the shoulder break is in a good position.  However, should she "bump" or somehow move her shoulder in the next two weeks, she could get the bone misplaced and end up needing surgery.  Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes, they really mean a lot to me.

Have a great weekend, and I'll have more next week.

Big Hugs,
Meri



18 comments:

Nan said...

Meri this tour of your Mom's art work is wonderful. I love all the great clothing the model is wearing of course you knew I would as I like to sew similar outfits. Well I see where your talent came from for sure. So nice you have these to pass down in the family. Take Care.

Tamera @ the Stone Fence Cottage said...

Meri--you're mom is so talented!! i can see who you take after!

Cheryl said...

*big hug Meri* :-)

You know.... you should create paper dolls out of some of those drawings your mother has made. You could combine both your talent and your mothers together! Could be super cute!!!

LBP said...

WOW! Your mom was very talented! She should have been a fashion designer! I would love to have every single one of those beautiful outfits that she drew!

I agree, you should create paper dolls of these sketches! They are amazing.

Blessings

Linda

Claudia said...

Meri,

FIrst of all, I am so sorry about this setback for your mother. She certainly has endured a great deal lately.

And now for the artwork. My goodness, what talent! And what a mentor she must have been for you. These are gorgeous. They are priceless, indeed. Please tell your mom how impressed I am, indeed, how impressed we all are!

xo
Claudia

Marydon said...

Meri, these pieces of art are FABULOUS! How fortunate you have them. What a talented artist Mother is!!! Love how she has inspired you so.

Hope Mother fairs well & heals quickly. Gosh, you have all been thru a lot lately.

Sending you lots of loving & hgus, sweet lady ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Kim K. said...

What an amazing set of drawings from your mom. Such treasures. Praying for a speedy recovery.

My Vintage Mending said...

Well this is no surprise to me as you are clearly a talented artist who comes from a talented family. I loved the expressions on each of the models faces and her divine taste in shoes...lovely post...glad to see it is going better. Hang in there and know that we are thinking of you. Smiles...Renee

Barb said...

Gorgeous art work! What a treasure and legacy you have in that! As I cared for my parents at the end of their lives, I too counted it a privilege and special time that, while difficult, I wouldn't have traded it for the world. Blessings on you as you care for her!

A Vintage Chic said...

Oh, Meri! I just loved this exhibit of your mother's beautiful artwork...it reminds me so much of my own mother's sketches...I need to scan mine, as well--thanks for the inspiration, my friend!

As always, you and your mother are in my prayers...I loved reading about what you're spending time doing together--really touched me. I love your attitude--just perfect, Meri!

Wishing you a wonderful night, dear friend...

Julie

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeee your Mom's drawings! They are just gorgeous! I hope her shoulder gets better soon! :):):):):)

Judy Evors said...

Your mom should have been a fashion designer, she is very talented!! I agree, you should create paper dolls of her sketches! Praying for a speedy recovery.

Hi, I'm Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Hello dear friend. I have been out of town and therefore out of touch.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's recent setback. She is in my prayers.

I feel very privlidged to have seen these drawings in person. It is true that the apple didn't fall far from the tree!

Be blessed dear one.

Lynn said...

omg! Your Mother's work is amazing!! She could have been a wonderful designer! I love all the detail in each of her drawings. I thik my fav is the pink ballet outfit. Simply stunning. I hope she continues do to well with her recovery as well I hope your health remains good.
Hugs,
Lynn

Betsy said...

What a treasure you have in these works of art. Isn't it fun to think of our mothers as young and creative and talented individuals before we were even born? I'm so glad you have this time together and will keep you both in my prayers.

Denise said...

Beautiful,they do remind me of my childhood in the 50s.My Mom,Grandmothers and Aunts and Lucille Ball in the I love Lucy Show.They also remind me of something I think of once in while.As a little girl of the 50s,I just knew for sure those sketches of your Mom's is how I would look when I became a Mom.Far from it!

gail said...

Hi Meri... I feel so special because I got to see these special, beautiful pieces of art in person at our blog party. She is an amazing artist and I enjoyed hearing her story:)
I hope your Mom is feeling better today. Sending hugs and prayers. I hope you are feeling better too.(())
I am making great progress (finally) from my surgery and in the creating zone again!
Have a pretty day, (()) Gail

Jessica Cangiano said...

Sending the biggest of healing wishes to your sweet (talented!) mom, and many supportive thoughts and hugs to you both.

Thank you very much for your comment on my blog post about the 1950s home that could easily have passed for one from the 70s, I really appreciate that you took the time to visit Chronically Vintage this weekend.


Wishing you and mom positive health and happiness,
Jessica