Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Simply Irresistible link party

via Pinterest
Bonjour!

Come along on a little journey with a few hundred of us.  I am linking with:


Each of us will show our french side, although the two times I've been to Paris were very bad trips and I have no pictures to show I was even there.  Que Sera, Sera, as they say, but I do wish I had my own experience in Provence.  For now I will be sharing with you images I have found on Pinterest, and please excuse the flagrant reuse of them without acknowledgement, as I'm not savvy on how to do that.

At the end of this little imagery trip, I will be posting my all time favorite recipe for "French Onion Soup."

Let's start outside my humble abode, where the fields of lavender and sunflowers bloom in orderly rows, yet with reckless abandon.  Fed by sun and plenty of rain, these rows of sunshine, skirted in purple, grow over the height of most men.  I mount my trusty bicycle, with it's worn and tattered basket barely hanging on, and glide down the cobbled roads of the village, where I shall stop in at the local flower shop for my weekly bunch of roses.

Via Pinterest

Via Pinterest

My village is small, and I am of modest income, but I still manage to cycle by the more advantageous in my small community, and admire the quaintness of their lovely facades.  Full of cracked plaster, bricks wearing away and becoming rounded, Ba reliefs mounted under corbels and windowsills becoming less and less recognizable with age.  There's a very ethereal feeling to this place, and yet I know these old buildings are homes to folks just like me. 

Via Pinterest

Via Pinterest
I continue on my way, halting occasionally to admire the countryside.  There are fields upon fields of sunflowers, just reaching for the sky.  I wish I could just run a scoop across this field, turning a mound of yellow into what I know will just taste like a cool scoop of lemon glace.
 
Via Pinterest
Well my friends, I have tired myself out with my peddling, and I've promised you something of a gastronomic treat, so back home we go.  

Ahhh, here we are, back in my humble little kitchen, where I am working magic for you.  Come, come in and sit down, and enjoy.

Via Pinterest
 Does this not look tres manifique?  Doesn't it make your mouth water?  Well, it should, and just so you all can enjoy, here's the recipe:

Via Pinterest
Soupe a l'oignon
Onion soup

Serves 4-6

11/2 lb onions, very finely sliced in rings
6 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups strong beef-bone stock
salt and freshly milled pepper

To Finish:
11/2 cups grated cheese, such as Cantal, Gruyere, or Emmenthal
4-6 thick slices day-old baguette

1.) Fry the onions in the butter.  Cook them very gently, stirring every now and then, for at least 20 minutes, until they are soft and golden.

2.) Add the wine.  Bring to a boil and bubble up for a few minutes to evaporate the alcohol.  Pour in the stock and 11/4 cups cold water, and season with salt and pepper.  Bring back to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer the soup.  Leave on a low heat for 20 minutes.

3.) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.  Put the baguette slices in the oven to dry.  Divide the bread among the soup bowls, then ladle in the hot soup: the bread will rise to the top.  Either preheat the broiler and top the bread with the cheese, then place the bowls under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese, or hand out a whole piece of cheese and a grater for people to add their own, as they like.

Note:  For a more substantial soup, thicken the cooked broth with 2 eggs beaten with a ladleful of the hot soup, and reheat without boiling.

Taken directly from "Classic French Cooking, recipes for mastering the French kitchen" by Elizabeth Luard, Spruce Publishing.

 My friends, we are at the end of the journey, I am very tired now, so I bid you adieu, bon jour, bon nuit, whatever suits and I'm off to rest my weary head.

Via Pinterest
I hope you've enjoyed this petite tour, and please feel free to drop me a line, or leave a comment.


Merci, God Bless, and big hugs,
Meri



 

23 comments:

Kim K. said...

Beautiful images. My fourteen year old has fallen in love with France (she's had 2 years of french in junior high) and her bedroom is full of all kinds of references to Paris. She'd love all these pictures. Hugs!

Karen Harvey Cox said...

Beautiful photos of enchanting France. And that onion soup, it looks so delicious. Thank you for posting the recipe.
Karen

My Vintage Mending said...

Alas...the kind of vacation I like in the comfort of my own home. My father spent some of his junior high stationed in France. Being Cajun his family spoke broken french. His memories are not of the imagery but of the food. I must say I can make a mean french onion soup. Smiles..my friend...Renee

Tammy's in Love said...

Well, Miss Meri! This is a new twist for you...travel guide extraordinaire! I LOVE French Onion soup after working at a French Bistro in college (in MN), not France!

Tammy

Shirley Hatfield said...

Tre Jolie! This is my second visit to France just this morning...something lavender scented is in the air! Loved this post. =D

Dorothy said...

Well, I enjoyed the tour! I wish I was sitting in that cozy kitchen drinking a cup of tea right now!
Have a great weekend,
Dorothy

catkin tales said...

what a wonderful poetic post. i loved it! you write with so much warm and i found your 'about me' bit in your side-bar very moving.
thank you so much for the soup recipe, i adore french onion soup and will be sure to give it a whirl.

wishing you a very lovely weekend xx

dorothy

lostpastremembered said...

Very sweet post and lovely soup... it really doesn't get better than that, does it?

It's me said...

Welcome in Paris darling...nice to met you here....what a great party this is !!...love Anita.....she is such a great friend for all of us.....happy week enjoy your time here....xxxx..

Woolytales Miniatures said...

really sweet with beautiful pictures!!! smiles~

A Vintage Chic said...

Bonjour, Meri! What a wonderful story, wonderful pictures, wonderful everything! I so enjoying seeing France through your eyes today...and the French Onion Soup recipe looks perfect!

Wishing you a lovely weekend, my friend!

Julie

"Create Beauty" said...

I've had a delightful visit here, thank you!

~ Violet

Champagne Macarons said...

Beautiful photos! I love seeing Paris through so many eyes. Your french onion soup looks delicious.. it is my favourite!
Wishing you a lovely weekend. xoxo, B

Dessa Rae said...

What a fun blog and post...the soup looks too good!!

I am following now, and I would love to invite you over to my blog to be entered in my giveaway.

XOXO
Dessa Rae

hi-d said...

You are making me very hungry for french onion soup right about now! Mmmmm...thanks for sharing your Paris trip with us!

And I am off to bed as well very soon.

Sweet dreams!
Heidi

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello there Meri!

France in general is worthy of a post for France is Paris, but Paris is not France...meaning that you can go ANYWHERE IN FRANCE and see the diversity of landscape and food, people and even dialects. But Paris is just one FABULOUS facet of this jewel called France. THANK YOU for participating! Anita

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

What a delight it was to visit you.
Beautiful images.. Soup looks delicious!!
Blessings,
Penny

DolceDreams said...

What fun this little trip has been, Anita's party is the best!
A bientot,
Nathalie

Mimi said...

HI TO MY DEAR SWEET AZ blogger friend!!!
Isn't this Party fun!!!
I adore Paris and Had to jump in when I saw it somewhere...and ANITA is a Doll to let me join in!!!
Loved your post!!!
hugs and love,
jamie--mimi

Sylvia said...

Delighted to have enjoyed your wonderful story and photos! I can almost smell the onion soup :) Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

Wonderful images! I'm now craving French Onion Soup and lovin that last photo of the mailboxes on the door.

Mary said...

I'm still completing my grand tour of Paris..I started at the bottom of Anita's list. I think as I sit here I am hungry, the Soupe a l'oignon is one I really love. Merci, Mary

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh, what a treat to get to come along on this incredible journey!
The rolling fields iced with beautiful blooms, fine country cottages...and cozy kitchens.
What a delight...
Thanks for letting me tag along, Meri!
Have a lovely week, my friend,
Carolynn