Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Fall Colors even here in Arizona


Happy Fall Everyone,

First I want to thank everyone who came to visit my presentation last week for "Le Mysterieux Carnival."  I received so many lovely comments, and I really appreciate them.

My husband and I went up to Flagstaff last weekend for two reasons.  The first reason was to visit my son, whose attending NAU (Northern Arizona University) for a marketing degree, and the second reason was to see the fall colors.  I am very fortunate to live in Arizona (born and raised) as we can live in the valley and experience all the wonders of big city living and wondrous winters.  Granted our summers are HOT, but with a little air conditioning or a pool, it's manageable.  Another way to escape the heat of the valley is to drive about 2.5 to 3 hours and be up in the cool mountain air.  For all of you who think Arizona is only desert, I'm here to tell ya that we get all four seasons here, too. 

A local park in Flagstaff
The oldest church in Flagstaff (1800's) aren't the
dragons/gargoyles cool?
Old advertising on a side building

Another cool old advertisement.

I went down an alley and found this
weird poster for which I have no
explanation, but I thought it was cool.
We took one of our three dogs (Archie) and we found that they were
celebrating Oktoberfest, so we joined in with all the students and hippies.
I'm here with my son (Chris) and my awesome husband (Kit).
By the way, Flagstaff is one of the most dog-friendly towns I've ever
been to.  We took Archie everywhere and he was welcomed with
treats and water at restaurants.
This is the beginning of the ski lift at "Sno-Bowl" which is covered
by 10-15 feet of snow in the winter and is one of the hottest skiing
locations around.
I took tons of pictures while we were going up to the summit
at 12,000 feet.  It was a 45-50 minute ride up.
At the top I found this really cool dead tree.
I call them ghost trees.
This is my son and I at the "almost" top.  The lift ends at
11,500 feet, but there's a hiking path to the top at 12,000 feet,
which I did not attempt.
Enough said!
On the way back down.
As we were leaving the park, I stopped to take pictures
of the stunning Aspen trees.


Afternoon light in the Aspens....golden!

So I thought I'd share a few piccy's of our trip, and to prove that I do get out of the house once in a while.....;o)  I had so much fun, and the weather was stunning with highs of 70 during the day and lows of 36 at night.  The nights were just perfect for this menopausal woman!

Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs,
Meri




20 comments:

A Little Creation said...

What beautiful photos! I love living on the California Central Coast, but I miss not having a real Fall season. I know how you feel about seeing your son, every time my daughter comes home from college it's like christmas for my husband and I.
Chris =]

Jane said...

It looks beautiful, Meri! Quite different from Florida, but we too have Fall here. Of course, I live in North Florida so can't speak for the rest :)

Tammy's in Love said...

Wow, that is a great little vacation preview! Glad you did GET OUT of the house and took us all along with you. Cute boys you hang out with too!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Such beautiful fall colors! All of our trees are changing too here in Indiana :) Have a great week! xo Holly

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

What pretty pictures Meri! I've been to Flagstaff, and enjoyed it very much!
I'm so glad that you got out to see those great fall colors, and had some time with your son too!
Erica :)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

I love to go up north for the Fall....it is beautiful!

Creative Breathing said...

Meri, When I got to visit Flagstaff, I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. I too was surprised at the different climates in Arizona. It has everything! Such a cute photo. So glad you had such a nice trip! E

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

It is pretty! Nice photos of you and the outing.
Warmly,
deb

Kim K. said...

It's so fun to see pictures of YOU and your family, Meri. Looks like a wonderful get-away and a perfect opportunity to see your son. Such beautiful fall colors. I don't think of fall when I think of AZ. You've proven me very wrong. Hugs.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I love Flag!! I haven't been in forever! I need to head up there again soon!!!!

Lynn Stevens said...

Meri. It looks like a beautiful place. I've always wanted to see Flagstaff. Did I ever tell you we almost moved to Arizona? Cottonwood to be exact. We even found the property we wanted to build our new home on. Things sometimes don't happen for a reason.
Hope you had a great visit with your handsome son.
hugs Lynn

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I absolutely love Flagstaff! I've been there in the Fall and it is wondrous! We don't see the tall golden Aspens here in these mountains...they sure are beautiful! Love that ride you took ...it still makes me feel a little giddy to do something like that! Happy Fall!

Perfectly Printed said...

Thanks for sharing such great photos! My family was in Flagstaff this summer...they loved..said it was one of the prettiest stops on their trip. So happy to see a picture of you
And your boys!,

Chris

Dorothy said...

Hi Meri, I love your beautiful photos of Flagstaff. The leaves are so colorful this time of year. We took a trip one year in October to Sedona and then drove up to Flagstaff for the day. That was the most beautiful vacation I ever took. I want to go back! Thanks for sharing, Dorothy

Createology said...

Beautiful Fall colors. We love Flagstaff...just not the cold snowy winters. Falling into Autumn Bliss...

retrorevival.biz said...

Happy to hear you all had a nice visit:) AZ is a beautiful place!

~Cindy

Creative Breathing said...

Had to come visit again to show my husband Arizona. Boy were you brave to get on that ski lift! But the view!!! Waiting for more, E

Sandy Camarda said...

Hi Meri! Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I read yours often :) I wish I lived in Arizona. I went a few times and I love it!

Hugs!
Sandy

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

So gorgeous! I might just have to make the 2 hour trek! :)

What a happy day!

Rett said...

Hi Meri....this is my first visit, and I had a wonderful time! The carnival piece reminded me of when I was a child, and the kids in the neighborhood would have our own carnival. Phew...that was a long time ago; but your piece brought that memory back :)