Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Holiday Wreath Tutorial


Hello wonderful people,

Today I bring you a tutorial for last weekend's bloggers luncheon activity.  I made this wreath over a week ago, with Sandy's help in photographing each step.  I used a foam ring that actually came broken, out of the case of 24 that I ordered, but for purposes of this tutorial will photograph a good one.

Step one:  Use an extruded Styrofoam ring, here we used 8" round.  Work on a surface that won't be damaged by dripping glue.  Gather your supplies which are; a glue gun (high heat preferred), plenty of glue sticks (either multi-temp or high temp), at least 24-21/2" to 3" ornaments, and at least 24-1 1/2" to 2" (feather tree) ornaments (more might be used depending on how you wish your wreath to look).  At least one yard of ribbon and if possible a metal ring (such as the rings used for key-rings) for added hanging strength.  Also, remove the hanging loops and metal or plastic tops of the ornaments as you'll not be needing them, and it makes it sturdier to glue the ornaments in without them.


Step two:  Create a bow loop through your foam ring and tack in place with glue to mark the top of your wreath.  You may also attach a bow at the end of the process.  Make sure you are keeping your foam ring on an even surface so that the ornaments will all be even on the back and it hangs flat on your wall.  Arrange larger ornaments around the perimeter of your ring to adjust your spacing.  I used a progressive approach by using 2" ornaments at the top of the wreath and used larger ones around the bottom.  Your wreath does not have to be perfectly symmetrical, just pleasing to the eye.  Once you have a design that appeals to you, if you wish you may mark the locations on the foam ring (where your ornament necks will go) with a marker or pencil and then proceed to the next step.


Step three:  Using the tip/nose of your glue gun, insert into the marks you've made or just wing it like I do.  Make sure the hole you create is large enough to fit the neck of your ornament and CAUTION do NOT force ornaments into the foam ring as you'll end up with broken ornaments and possibly cut fingers.  Let the glue gun do all the work of creating a hole, it's fast and easy.


Step four:  Once you have your hole large enough, add glue to the neck/opening of your ornament and gently place it in the hole you just made.


As you can see in the image below, I have one ornament glued in and one that is not glued in yet.


Step five:  Progress around the perimeter of the ring making holes and gluing in your ornaments




Step six:  Once you have finished the first row around the outside of your foam ring, you are now ready to do the next row.  As you can see, I have an addition of a vintage plaster plaque glued onto my wreath.  I did this as a way to use an item I wouldn't otherwise have used, and because it added stability to the broken foam ring that I used.  You can do without this piece and continue creating rows of ornaments within the interior of the foam ring.  When creating successive rows, alternate the placement of ornaments as you can see in the image below.  This method fills in more area and allows you to create a more pleasing wreath.



Step seven:  when you've arranged your ornaments in the next rows, proceed to glue them into the foam wreath, as well as gluing them to ornaments underneath for added stability.



I used many different types of ornaments for this project, including those with wires on them used in floral arranging.  All I did was use some wire cutters and trim off the wires which made them suitable for filling in small areas.



I only got two major rows of ornaments on this wreath, due to the plaster plaque taking up the center space, but you can get up to three or four rows of ornaments on yours by also going down into the interior circumference of your foam ring.


Step eight:  Finishing your wreath
Use smaller ornaments to fill in any spots where you feel the "white" foam ring is showing through.  You may also use ribbons, tinsel, small wooden ornaments, plastic Santa's, reindeer's, or any cute little figurines you may have.  I used some tinsel garland from Target to highlight the cute little vintage kitty on the plaster plaque.  Now you can attach a bow to hang your wreath from on the back with glue if you did not start out with one.



That's pretty much all there is to it.  I will post images of the ladies and their wreaths from the luncheon last Saturday in the next day or so.  By this coming weekend, I will show images of the event itself and you can see "action" shots of the ladies working hard on their wreaths.  If you have any further questions about creating these wreaths, please send me an email at meriw@cox.net, and I'll be happy to help you if I can.

Hugs,
Meri


24 comments:

Kim K. said...

Fabulous tutorial. I can't wait to share this with my mom and sister.

Christmas hugs!!

Tammy's in Love said...

YEA! Thank you Miss Meri! Between this tutorial and Erica (Golden Girl) live and in person, I hope to put one of these beuties together before the end of the month! I'm hunting ornaments now!

✿Carol✿ said...

Thanks so much for doing this tutorial Meri, because I've been wanting to make one of these but just didn't know where or how to start. Such a fun idea to have a party to make these, and I love how you added that plaque to the center. It's gorgeous!

chris mckinley said...

Thanks for the tutorial!! I am ready to use my garage sale finds for this project!! And I have to say I LOVE the Blue and Silver combo!!

chris

Short and Sweet said...

I'm ready to make wreath #2. I put the wreath I made at your house on my mom's bedroom door and I want to make another wreath (not a Christmas wreath) for another door. My goal is to have various themed wreaths on each door. You sparked something creative in me!
Thanks again,
Loretta

Shirley Hatfield said...

Thank you...this tutorial was very helpful! I've been winging it and your instructions cleared up some questions I had. Loved the kitty in the middle!

vintage grey said...

Love it!! So beautiful and thanks for such a great tutorial! ;) xo Heather

vivian said...

I just told Sandy on her blog, that Now I NEED one! lol! how pretty they are.
wish I could have been there!
xoxo
vivian

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I absolutely loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yours Meri!!! SO GORGEOUS!! I cannot thank you enough for having me over for your blogger party/wreath making party!! I had sooooooooo much fun and was so happy and humbled how you all encouraged me to finish mine!! Love you girl!!

My Vintage Mending said...

So cute...card images and shiny brites...amazing...smiles..Renee

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Meri!
Love the blue tone wreath! The kitty in the middle is sweet! Thank you for sharing the step by step instructions!
Can't wait to see more and hear about your gathering!
Warmly,
deb

Blessed Serendipity said...

Your wreath is darling and you gave such a great tutorial on making one. I just found your blog via 521 Lake St. I see that you live in AZ (me too). Your blog is darling and I just signed up to follow you.

Danielle

A Little Creation said...

Very Pretty. I've got my glass bulbs now all I need to do is clean my craft room up enough to work.
Chris =]

donna said...

Meri I love love your wreath. It is so darn cute. Thank you so much for the tutorial.
Hugs
donna

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Thank you for sharing a wonderful tutorial! I'm on the hunt for extra vintage ornaments, hoping to make one of these beautys! Have a great day! xo Holly

Wish You Were Here said...

Thank you SO much for posting this tutorial, Meri! I plan to work on my wreath this weekend. I'll post pictures to my blog when I'm done! Your finished wreath is beautiful - I love the vintage center, too! xxxx, Janice

Fran said...

What a great tutorial! I love your blog...going to have fun now going back and reading some of your old posts. I found you through Sandy at 521 Lake St. :) --Fran

Lynn Stevens said...

Wonderful tutorial Meri, now I know what I'm going to do with all those extra vintage ornaments that I have stacking up.
Love your wreath!!!
hugs Lynn

Tamatha said...

So cute! I'm going to have to make one! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Createology said...

This wreath is beautiful and looks vintage blissful. Thank you for sharing your techniques. Merry Meri...

Creative Breathing said...

Yahoo Meri! I am so excited to see your tutorial and learn how to make these beautiful wreaths. I can't wait to read about the day. This post makes my day! Elizabeth

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

Oh Meri, I had the most wonderful time, and I love my wreath. I am going to go show it off on my blog and add a link back here. Thanks so much.

Jacqueline said...

I think I can do this, yes I can. Thank you for the step by step process and the pics were good! I am an activity director in a senior living and this would be fun to do for their doors. You have inspired me and I feel the addiction to come back and back here to visit. It's pure joy and pure fun. Thank you Meri!

Wish You Were Here said...

I finally finished mine today, Meri! Thanks bunches for your support and providing the wreath base! I hope you have a very Happy New Year! xxxx, Janice