Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Crafting runs in the family



Howdy,

Today I'm showing off my older sister's crafting.....it runs in the family.  My sister, Lin, is quite the crafter, as well as an excellent artist, tailor, cook..........pretty much anything she does is amazing.  I've looked up to her all my life and as I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate her unique talents, rather than be jealous of them.

Lin created this little journal photo album recently, using photos of our family from 1998, ten years before my father passed away.  All four of the girls in our family (me, my little sister Jenny, my older sister Lin and my mom) have a thing for Great Britain.  We've all been there multiple times, however, not all at the same time.  Some of our heritage is Scottish, so we have a particular fondness for all things Scotch.

On one of Lin's trips to Scotland, she picked up a touristy type hat called a "See You Jimmy" hat.  The story behind the hat is this:

Scots are quite notorious for fighting, especially in Glasgow City....so it's been said.  They call each other "Jimmy" if they don't know the other person's name....'see you Jimmy' is usually said immediately before they stick the heid on (head butt) the other guy, so a "See you Jimmy" hat is to make you look like a Scot.  It's made up of a tartan hat with ginger hair attached....it's all in good fun.


So at the time, 1998, those of us in the family silly enough to wear it got our pictures taken in it, and some of us decided to hold a can of
Guinness, too.  Lin recently compiled this photo journal of the results...all in good fun.  If you click on the images, they will get larger.

This collage shows my dad in the upper right corner, then below him
is my oldest brother Jay, and to the left is my mom

In this grouping we have my sister-in-law Mimi (upper left corner) who
is married to my brother Jay.  Then circling right is their oldest son
Gary, and below him is my oldest sister Lin (who created this book) and
to her left is Andy, Jay and Mimi's youngest son.

Here we start off with Robbie (Lin's husband upper left), their oldest son
BJ (upper right), my other brother Kyle (lower right) and then Lin and
Robbie's youngest son Danny (lower left).

Sarah (upper left) is my brother Kyle's oldest daughter, I'm to her
right (upper right) and below me is my daughter Caitlin (lower right)
and to her left is her older brother Christopher (lower left).

The last few pages are of my youngest sister Jenny (far left),
another shot of my dad in his other Scottish hat (middle),
and the last page of the book (far right).
It's a fun reminder for our family, showing how goofy we are, and will always bring us memories of the times spent in Scotland (my personal favorite place in the whole world).

If you ever get the chance to go to Great Britain........DO NOT HESITATE........GO!  You won't regret it.
Next up, free new graphics for you and some photo's of new sculpts in the works.  See ya soon!

Hugs,
Meri

12 comments:

Kim K. said...

It's fun having family members who support and inspire you in your craftiness. Very cute pics.

A Little Creation said...

What a sweet album.
My daughter and I are flying into Heathrow this spring, we will be spending a few days in/around London before going to Belgium. What should we see while we are there?
Chris =]

Tamatha said...

What a fun family album!

VintageBettys said...

Looks like alot of fun! What a nice way to put the memories in a photo journal :)

chris mckinley said...

What a great album your sister put together!! So much fun to be silly!

chris

AllyJo said...

How fun. It's sweet to see family loving and having a good time.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Her album is soooooooooooo fun!! I loveeeeeeeeee it!!!!

vivian said...

how fun! Your family all has the same hairdo! lol!
I had to say that...
anyways.. I have a little christmas journal I need to work on along with some other projects that are brewing.. totally broke, so I'll be busy in the craft room all weekend!
xoxo
vivian

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How wonderful to spend time with family and have some fun, too! Can I join...maybe as a long lost Aunt of something? heehee!

Creative Breathing said...

Meri, This is such a wonderful post! I love this tradition! I have mailed your Valentines, and I hope you get a gasp at the "extra" something I included. I sure did! Loved our conversation! E

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh my gosh Meri, I'm busting at the seams! What a fun Family album. LOL. Your family looks like a friendly bunch. Love the jimmy hat! hahahaha.
Thanks for the giggle.
Hugs Lynn

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Meri!
I'm chuckling at all your family pictures. It's so nice to see that other families are goofy, too. Mine can be totally deranged at times...Silly times ten!!!!!!!!!!
Just love the Jimmy Hat and the colorful story that goes with it.
Thanks for sharing a slice of life!
Smiles,
Carolynn xxx