Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine Link Party, Welcome to my engagement!


Happy Valentines Day
to all the best blog friends
anyone could ask for

Thank you for joining me on this Valentine linky party hosted by a very dear, sweet friend of mine, Laura of "Decor to Adore."

Click here to visit all the blogs participating

I am sharing a very special moment in my life, made so remarkable by the love of my life, my best friend and most amazing man I've ever met....my husband Chris.  A lot of you know some of my history such as the fact that I'm on my second marriage, but I haven't shared why I said yes to this wondrous man after all the mess I had concerning my first marriage.

I was first married at the age of 19 to a man from a middle eastern country, and we were together for just about 20 years and have two amazing children.  My first marriage did not go according to either of our desires/wishes and took an unfortunate and rather ugly/sad turn for the worse and I filed for divorce.  While still reeling from going through a divorce, I also, rather stupidly, became involved with someone I worked with.  It ended rather ugly as well, and I was left bereft, alone, and wallowing in my misery.  I became very, very, very cynical about men....thinking they were all basically scum and there wasn't a redeeming value to any man around.  At this pitiful point in my life I decided I wanted to hurt men, any man in general would do, and decided to try online dating.  I joined a site, wrote a very sarcastic bio of myself, basically daring any man to contact me..........I was going to play with them, hurt them if possible, and even considered various methods of torture (Ok, I only imagined it, but it was fun at the time).  My bio started with a tone similar to this;
I'm not a model and neither are you.  If you have any intention
of contacting me, you will not request pictures because 
you obviously can't read what I'm writing here.

Please excuse my language, but I was hellbent on hurting someone.  I fully expected that no one would answer or contact me, I was just lashing out.  To my surprise I received 5 contacts.....4 of them asking for pictures of me...............obviously they were perfect for my mood, however, one of them contacted me with a totally bogus bunch of mushy gobbledy gook, which translates to "to good to be true."  He was going to be my target......I was primed to let this guy have all my pain, anger and hatred of mankind, it was supposed to be so easy..........HA.

His bio read something like this;

I'm a romantic at heart.  If you love to take long walks, holding hands, and sharing giggles, then
you are who I'm looking for.  I'm a 6'2" tall, slightly overweight man with a balding pate, but
if you're into cuddling and sharing your thoughts and emotions, then please contact me.


 Now isn't he the perfect target for the dastardly way I was going to treat someone (remember I was a man hater at this time)?  We started communicating back and forth a few times, I was trying to test him and see how mushy this guy could be.  Well he wrote to me of his upbringing and I wrote about mine, and a very odd thing started to happen........we had very parallel lives and experiences.  My man hating continued as I questioned him further and further, testing and testing, and to my chagrin, he always answered perfectly....like a dream, and I was getting more an more annoyed that he was seeming to be perfect.  That couldn't be....right?  He told me that his mother was from England, and that he had been there before, not knowing that I've been there about 4 times and I'm a huge anglophile (a lover of all things English/British).  I decided to test him again, this time on something that only a local or descendant of someone from England might know.  There is a particular brew made out there, kind of like a local moonshine, called "Scrumpy" and it's exceedingly potent, but oh so yummy.  I queried him one day, knowing that he'd been joshing about his English roots and fully expecting him to falter as I asked him if he'd ever heard of "Scrumpy."

Within minutes he had sent me the recipe for brewing it...........aaaaaaaaaagh.  This was way before you had instantaneous results on the Internet.........I was hooked!  I had to meet this man, this man that said everything right, and had the recipe for my favorite all time drink.  Needless to say, we met, we dated, and after a year of putting him through hoops and testing his loyalty, this wondrous man took me out one evening to downtown Tempe (home of Arizona State University), sat me down on a bench, in the middle of the downtown area, and proceeded to present me with a stuffed "Scooby-Doo" toy.  He told me that he was sorry if I felt he was pressuring me in our relationship, or going too fast for me due to all my past hurts.  He explained that this relationship was very precious to him, and he didn't want me to feel that he was making all the decisions without consulting me.  I sat there with tears in my eyes, holding Scooby-Doo, and thanking him for being the only man in my whole life that ever apologized to me........for anything.......and then he showed me the sapphire engagement ring strung around Scooby-Doo's neck.  He then was on his knee and asked me to marry him.

We've been together for 16 years now, and married for eleven.  As you can see.......I did make him wait quite a while.........but man-O-man has it been worth it!  He's loved me enough for several lifetimes, and still keeps me going.  He's my best friend, my lover, my life and I truly wouldn't be here now if not for him.

I love you my dear sweet man and thank you for everything!
Happy Valentines Day my love.




Thank you to the following blog ladies that have showed me such great friendship
and kindness.
Fun Valentines from sweet Deb of "Garage Sale Gal"

Cute Valentines and a lovely handmade heart Valentine from
Chris at "Perfectly Printed"
A sweetheart from a sweetheart
Viv of "Viv's Whimsey"

Amazing Valentines from my dear friend E of "Creative Breathing"


A lovely handmade Valentine from E

Look at all these wondrous goodies from E.
A handmade bird ornie, a handmade nutcup
and lots of vintage ephemera.....awesome

These were at home when I arrived this evening
after running errands.  My hubby is the best!!!!!!

A balloon, too.......how fun is that

God Bless, and thank you to Laura for hosting this lovely blog linky party.  Please take some time to visit some of the other blogs participating in this event.

Hugs,
Meri

23 comments:

Kim K. said...

I just love happy endings. I'm so happy for you both, Meri.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

And you two are kindred spirits for sure!! Your hubby is the best!!! And I think you now have ANOTHER LINK with BrookieWolek!!!! LOL!! She is a SCOOBY-DOO fanatic!!! Seriously... we went to the antique store ...and she saw a HUGE (almost as tall as her!!) Scooby-Doo ... and she HAD to have it!!! LOL!! She spent her birthday money on it!! I am taking her to Scooby-Doo live in May!! :)

Perfectly Printed said...

It sounds like you hit the jackpot!!! Such a special man!!

Warmly chris

Jill said...



I think you have the man of your dreams!!! Happy Valentine's Day!

Bohemian said...

Oh Meri what a poignant Love Story... one that made me laugh and cry! I Believe the Lord knew your Man Hating was a facade to protect a Tender Loving Heart yearning for Mr. Right and so He sent him to you in the most unorthodox way imaginable so that you'd know without a shadow of a doubt that he was 'the one' sent! Thanks also for coming for a Valentine's Blog visit and sharing your Story from the perspective of the Spouse who has battled Health Issues. Its so difficult to see and feel how it is for The Man because being a Man, he's not wordy and expressive like a Gal would be about his side of the relationship and what it might mean to him that I've been ride or die... you've put into words what he probably would have difficulty expressing so eloquently, Thank You for that!

Happy Valentine's Day from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Such a sweet story :) Happy for you!! And look at all those sweet Valentine's!! :) Happy Valentine's day! xx Holly

Dorothy Crutchfield said...

Oh, I loved that story! Happy Valentine's Day, sweet Meri!
~Dorothy

Sandy said...

Such a sweet story..
Happy V Day to you both and thanks so much for your visit to my blog.
Sandy

VintageBettys said...

That is the sweetest love story ever! I love your wording...I'm not very good with my english....but I love how some people are able to create fancy ways of expressing themselves. I'm glad that you found true love...that is wonderful! what lovely Valentines from all of your friends :) Have a great Valentines Day:)

vintage grey said...

A sweet and happy ending!! Such a blessing you both found each other!! Happy Valentine's Day! xo Heather

Lorraine said...

What a moving story, Meri. So glad it lead you to your dream husband! Happy Valentine's Day!
~Lorraine ♥♥♥

Custom Comforts said...

What a sweet story. Your guy sounds to good to be true, but he must have been heaven sent. Happy Valentine's Day!
Cindy

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Awwww Meri, what an awesome inspiring story. I am so happy for you and just know you are having the best Valentine's day. xo

Nan said...

Beautiful story of how you and your second husband found each other. Hope your day is going well and this is a very Happy Valentine's Day for you two.

Redhead Sadie said...

What a lovely story, Miss Meri! I never knew what a colorful history there was with you...but I am not surprised at all, as you are a vibrant and beautiful woman! I wish I had more time to spend getting to know more about you, but thanks for this fabulous tidbit! Happy Heart Day to you, my friend!

Short and Sweet said...

Meri, thank you so much for sharing your story...I held on to every word. I'm so happy that you finally found your perfect man and that you are living the wonderful life that you deserve.
See you soon.
Loretta

Patti M said...

What a sweet story Meri...happy valetine's day to you & your knight in shining armor
Patti : )

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh, Meri...I just love happy endings...Or should I say happy beginnings! I love your story and am so glad you met a man who would cherish you. I, too, kisses a big old frog for 15 years of marriage. He was my childhood sweetheart and all, but, he was also unfaithful to me a number of times during our marriage. My heart was broken.
Today (and after 27 sweet years) I am blessed to be happily married to the genuine article. My husband is faithful, caring, honest and above all the man I am growing old with.
Thank you for sharing your sweet Valentine's story, my friend.
Blessings,
Carolynn xoxo
I just signed up for my first Swap on Sandy's blog. :-)

Donna said...

What a great story ! I love your honesty in it...my kinda girl!!
xo
Donna

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh my friend how lucky you were to have found one another. Sniff. I get weepy at such wonderful romance.

You are a gal after my own heart! Thank you SO very much for linky up and sharing this Valentine goodness.

A Vintage Chic said...

Oh my goodness, Meri...what a wonderful man you found! So glad you shared your story--complete with every ounce of honesty. Makes it that much more sweet.

Wishing you a beautiful weekend with the love of your life, dear friend!

Julie

Elizabeth Andrus said...

Meri, You had me enthralled by your story of meeting your husband. You certainly found your True Love in hin! E

Max of Max California ★ said...

what a cute story!!!