Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Belated thank you's and recent aquisitions


How's it goin' ya'll?

Well its time I gave some belated thank yous and show just a couple goodies I've gotten recently.  I'm still busy with my mom, she had three doctor appointments yesterday and the air went out of my car, so it was a little miserable.  Personally, just when I'm riding out by myself, I can handle no air conditioning, but when I'm transporting others, especially my 81 year old mom, it's difficult.  We're still waiting to find out what is causing her so much pain in her side, so next up is a CT scan.  Many of her doctors think its musculoskeletal in nature, but it very well could be one of her organs is getting pinched between her ribs and hip bone, or even possibly a kidney stone......time will tell.

In other news:  My good friend Sandy recently cleaned her house and craft room, not to mention a complete reorganization.  She sent me home with many boxes of goodies (she's so good to me) and I thought I'd show you something special to me.  There was literally too much to photograph, and I also gave most of it away, but Sandy gave me this MIB Cootie game from 1949!  I used to play this game at my grandparents house all the time and have such good memories of it.  It's not the exact same game, but another one just like it.  So many happy memories it brings back...........thank you girlfriend.


The ever lovely Jenny Sellars of "The red bulletinboard" sent me this amazing fabric last week.  It's so amazing, I can't get over how cute it is.  Thank you so much Jenny......I love it very much!

I'm making Sandy a pair of PJ's from some old sheets and she wanted me to make her a pillow out of one of the kitty images.......so I will.

Holly, from "Girls at Heart" sent me this lovely garland that she's so well known for making.  I sent her a set of vintage salt and pepper shakers a while back, so this was my reciprocal gift......I love it, and it looks perfect on my old window frame.  Thank you sweet Holly!


My dear friend "Loretta" who is one of my wonderful students, made me this lovely banner of my name.  I mentioned it in my last post, but it deserves an image all by itself.  She made it for me in honor of the paper doll class I had last week..........isn't it darling?


In the same picture, above, to the right you can see a sweet little doll dress.  Yes, it's vintage and it's from another good friend/student "Sherrie."  I absolutely adore handmade items, now she didn't make this, but found it for me in a thrift store and knew I should have it......how sweet is that?

Close up

Are you all drooling by now.........well hold on, there's more!

I spied this next piece in my mom's apartment.  She had been working/mending it as some of the strings had come loose through the years.  I have never, ever, in all my life seen this piece around my moms house, and I was so flabbergasted to find that it was my grandmother's on my dads side of the family.  My mom even believes it was made by my grandmother, but were not 100% sure, so I'll be doing some investigating.  After searching the Internet Wednesday, I found that the type of knitted stitching is called "filet lace."  Ladies used to use old fishing nets as bases for some very intricate needlework.  Now this isn't on an old fishing net, but it is on the base of a fish net structure which was also created at the same time.  Now if my grandmother made this, it's even more precious to me, but even if she didn't............I adore handmade items from yesteryear.  It seems to have been made between 1900-1930, but once I know it's story, I'll definitely get back with ya'll.  You should really click on these images to get a better look at this handi-work.






Stunning, isn't it?  I've got it set on my coffee table here, but I think it's a shawl.  I'm not leaving it on the table, as it's too precious to possibly damage, and I do need to finish mending it.

I, too, have succumbed to the lure of Heather's handmade goods over at "Vintage Grey" and she had emailed me a few weeks ago letting me know that she would have a clothes pin holder in her shop soon that had an embroidered puppy on it.  I collect embroidered puppy linens and couldn't be more upset that she emailed me at a time I just spent all my paycheck on groceries and the air conditioning repair guy.  I went and looked at the wondrous piece anyway, and ended up making myself despondent........I couldn't afford it.
Well, three weeks later I got paid again and just for a lark I went speedily over to her shop and to my delight it was still there!  It was meant to be mine!  Thank you Heather, I love it and it's amazing.  It's now hanging in my studio on my other vintage window pane.  Also, please stop by her blog and send her some prayers, she's dealing with a family emergency right now.


Now a thank you to my little sis Jenny of "Dogma Jen." a couple of months ago she was out garage saleing and picked up these three lovely vintage dish towels for me.  They look perfect on my garden cart.  Thank you my dear sister, you're the best.


Also on this garden cart are some bookends I got last month on Ebay.  They are little blue puppies with polka dot ties sitting on books.  The dish towel with blue crochet flowers on it is from the local Lutheran thrift store, it's in amazing condition.


That's it for now.  I hope you enjoyed all the piccy's, and if you get a chance, please go visit all these lovely ladies at their blogs which I've linked.

Hugs,
Meri











13 comments:

Jenny Sellars said...

YAY! I am so glad you like the fabric!!

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Wow! You're getting the love, girlfriend! Love those puppy book ends. ♥

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

And I got to see and touch most of it....you have the cutest stuff...I tried to describe it to my girlfriend, but really, you have to see it!!

CoriLynn said...

So many cute things!! I love those puppy dog bookends!! Too Cute!!

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Wow!! Not sure what to even comment on, everything is so great! I can't believe the hand-work on that shawl! Imagine the time that took. I'm so glad you were able to snag the puppy bag from Heather's shop! And I love the blue puppie book-ends!
I got a good laugh at your comment...YES, how about I'll be on the look out for vintage x-mas for you, and you keep an eye out for a husband for me! Haa!
Erica :P
p.s I'd rather he not be "vintage" if possible

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving all the goodies!!! Especially that Cooties game! I used to play that all the time!!!

harriette said...

I am still laughing at Ericas request for a non vintage husband!!
What a fun post to read, I love all the photos and stories!

donna said...

WOW! Looks like you received loads of goodness. Everything is so cute.
Hugs
donna

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a treasure from your grandmother. I'm glad it found its way to your house. Love all your treasures. Heather is so talented and your bookends are too cute for words.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Wow so many great and cute things!! Love the clothespin holder from Heather and those adorable puppy book ends! Such fun goodies for you!! Wishing you a wonderful weekend! xo Holly

Lutka And Co. said...

Oh, what wonderful things you have gotten! I especially like your blue puppy book ends - so cute!

Lynn Stevens said...

WOW Meri ,what a blast from the past. I remember playing with the game cootie.
So many great things you received in the mail. Must be fun checking your mailbox.
That tablecloth is GORGEOUS!!!!
Hugs Lynn

Shana M said...

I love reading your posts! Your blog just makes you wanna smile! I stop by everyday to check it out :)


firefliesandbumblebees.blogspot.com