Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Just a peek at what I've been doing


Howdy,

Well as most of you know I've been pretty busy with my mom lately.  I'm very busy this week as well, but with many other things.  Some of the fun stuff I've been doing recently (okay within the past two months!) are pretty neat.

First up, my youngest daughter Abby, came to me a few months ago with one of those "spur of the moment" Meri can you help me with something I volunteered for?  She was involved in an "anime" group at school and one of their members was to attend Comi-Con which would be at the end of May here in Phoenix and she volunteered to make the shorts for the costume..  My brain registered shorts as being basic with an elastic waist.......easy peasy.........right?  Wrong!  After saying yes to helping her I was then presented with this sketch of what the costume needed to be:

YIKES!
Now I've taught both of my daughters how to sew, but not how to tailor.  Each person in this anime group were to make one part of the costume, I'm wishing in hindsight that my daughter would have picked the hat or stockings!!!  If you click on the image you'll get a better idea of the look of the shorts.  Again, I assumed, and bought a pattern to make a pair of dress slacks ($16) and I was given some dark brown plaid polyester/wool blend fabric to work with.  I thought pretty easy, I'll do the waist and zipper and my daughter can do the sides, hem and button.  NOPE, still wrong.......they wanted it to have a front flap with buttons on each side, kind of like colonial men's pants, and it needs to be this long, by this big.........yadda, yadda, yadda.  To add to the requests, the young lady who was going to be wearing this costume was absolutely tiny, yet curvy and I wasn't going to have any access to her for fittings.......I was creating these "shorts" for a ghost.  I decided to make a "trial" pair of pants using muslin so that they could be fitted to the girl and all adjustments could be made to the pattern without messing with the actual shorts.  First I had to make major alterations to the pattern to create the front flap construction......with working pockets (last minute request).  After four attempts and most of my hair missing due to being pulled out, I created a pattern, from scratch, for this little lady.  My youngest brought the "trial" pair of muslin shorts home with alterations marked all over the damn darn thing.  Back to the drawing board, shorten this, make this bigger, need to fit her curves, make the leg openings smaller, etc., there were pencil marks all over these things.  After creating yet another new pattern, I went ahead and created the actual shorts.  Here is the final shot of the girl in costume.

Pretty cool even after all
the headaches I went
through creating these
shorts for a ghost.
Abby and her father also attended Comi-Con and these are the costume they wore:

Hubby was Dr. Who and Abby went
as one of the DC comic villains
"Poison Ivy"

As I've mentioned before, I'm also participating in a "round robin" doll exchange with my local group of art gals (we call ourselves "Arizona Showgirls") and we meet each month to exchange dolls amongst ourselves to add our personal touch to.  Each lady (there are 8 of us) start an art doll of some sort, and they each get passed around between us and we add a bit of personality to them.  At the end of 8 months we should each have a very unique doll that has been added to by everyone in the group.  This was my last months doll that I worked on, and this is this months doll.  This doll has been said to be a world traveler/Dr. Who type character.  I added legs that another gal started but couldn't figure out how to attach.  This other gal also made a hat for this doll, but it wouldn't stay on the head, so I put in "hair" made of wire.  I also created a small scarf that is reminiscent of Dr. Who's scarf from the 70's.  Here's my input on the doll.

Finished look of what
I added to this doll.

Wire hair that others can add fun things to the hairs with
jump rings, for even more decor to.

The Dr. Who-ish type scarf.

Extremely long, articulated, legs.

"Buckled" knees.......tee hee!
Now I'm gearing up for my class this coming Saturday.  We're playing with paper dolls, so I'll be back after the class with piccy's for ya'll.

See ya soon!

Hugs,
Meri





17 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Your talents never cease to amaze. What cool costumes. You really need to live closer and come help us at Halloween. Love the Dr. Who doll too. Have fun playing with paper dolls this weekend. Take lots and lots of pictures!!

Shirley Hatfield said...

You are amazing...what a fun "Steampunk" outfit that turned out to be! And you are a wonderful mom to do it!! =D

Patti said...

My chin has dropped - WHAT! All I can say is - you are amazing - and creative doesn't describe it! I wonder what it's like inside that brain of yours! I wish I could just sit and watch you some day!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I just don't have that talent...I would have been crying saying, what should I add? It is so cute...love the legs!!

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

Fun, fun, fun, all of it. I love the doll the best.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What a wonderful mom you are!! And WOW!! :) You are sooo creative, the outfits turned out so well! and love your new paper clay!! Have a great week! xo Holly

CoriLynn said...

I LOVE this post!! Hehe! My sister is a massive Dr Who fan, and I can't wait to show her your doll!! She will die! ;) Can you come teach me how to sew?? amazing work!
~xoxo, CoriLynn

Beedeebabee said...

Wow!!! Those shorts are pretty darn amazing, Meri! What a great job you did on those! Your daughter and hubby look adorable in their costumes, and so did the little Miss in the fancy shorts by the way. :)...I love the group doll too! You are so talented, Missy!!! Hope all is well with your mom. xoxo

Jenny said...

Gosh!

If you weren't so incredibly wonderful I would have to envious of all your talents!

As it is, though, I just think...of course Meri could sew something like that!

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

You're just doing all sorts of fun (and hair ripping out) things! :)

I'd love to go to Comic Con! ♥

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

The costumes look AMAZING!! A few of my friends were there and had a blast!!!

Tammy's in Love said...

Your daughter had to have the most meticulously planned costumer! Your doll is so detailed, love those stockings made of ...doilies? Someday I'm gonna move to PHX and come to those gatherings of creative gals!

Marlynne said...

You've been a busy girl for sure! Super Cute on both counts!

retrorevival.biz said...

Wow, Meri, you did a great job on the costume! And the details on your doll ~ amazing!

chris mckinley said...

Holy Moly! Love the doll!! Such great additions to her! And such a trooper with the costume...it's just lovely!

Lutka And Co. said...

Wow, you are very talented and imaginative!

My Vintage Mending said...

Oh how cute. I love that Dr. Who doll....there is a fan at my house for that too. Smiles....Renee