Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Well kept secrets and an update from E




Hello Blog Friends,

Yes, I've kept a secret from most of you.  I've only told you tidbits about my pets, and it's for your own protection!

-CUTE ALERT-


This is the story of Archie, and I can almost guarantee that by the end of this story, you'll want to be added to the growing list of people that WANT Archie.  I might even have to start a blog just for him, but we'll decide about that later.


My little sister, Jenny, and her husband Tracy work at a pet resort in Fountain Hills, AZ.  They have become recipients of many dogs through the years, abandoned, miss treated, etc., and they both have hearts big enough to have kept many, many pets through the years.  I believe at this point they have approximately 9 dogs, two cats and various other critters they consider to be their children.  After my dad died in 2007 they found an older dog for our mother, who was now alone in her home.  Maddie was about 12 to 13 years old when my mom got her and she only lived for about a couple of years with my mom before passing away.  My mom was very attached to her and took it very hard.  After grieving for about a year, my sister and her husband found my mom another dog named Dean who was much younger, maybe about 2-3 years old.  Dean came to live with our mother and proved to be quite a bit to handle.  Dean was rambunctious, and Dean could run and jump like the wind, my mom didn't like the name Dean, so he promptly became known as Archie, Archibald for formalities sake.  Archie had been abandoned in a home out in the desert, in the summer no less, and no one knows exactly how long he had to survive on nothing, but he survived.  To this day, we don't know his exact age, or breed or mix, other than to see some Chihuahua or possibly long-hair dachshund in his makeup.  He is small, extremely agile (more akin to a cat than a dog) and has the cutest little begging act that will just melt your heart.



Okay, it's not the exact "begging" thing I was looking for because he does this thing with his paws while he's begging for attention.....anyways you get the idea.  A couple of years ago, while my mom was staying with me, Archie came to live with us, too.  When we moved our mom to a independent living facility nearby it was too expensive to have Archie with her and even more terrifying because he's not trained to stay.  If he got out the door of her apartment, we'd likely never see him again, so he now stays with us and we have happily adopted him into our family.  He heartily irritates his much older "sister" Ocean (a black chow mix rescue) who has been lonely since her sister "Princess" passed away a few months ago.  Archie and Ocean are happily inseparable and manage to tear around the house before, during, and after my classes......to the delight of my students and I'm always the mean mommy that yells for them to stop it.  It's gotten to the point that I yell at them to take it outside, or "somebodies gonna get hurt."  It doesn't work!  My students and family just laugh at them and at me for being such a poop.  While he still lived with my mom, her visitors all vied for his ownership if she needed to get rid of him, some very serious, some you thought might just be joshin' but you never know.  I know now that everyone was totally serious, as my students have all fallen in love with him, too and the list for ownership only gets longer.  He's the softest, sweetest, lover of a dog and all he wants is attention all day long.  Before you go trying to get your name on this extensive list, you must understand........Archie does not obey anyone.  He is totally his own boss and knows he can get away with it because all he has to do is look sheepishly up at you with those big brown eyes..........and of course some of his sweet begging doesn't help your resolve either.

Parting Shot


This is what happens when you move in to give him the prior mentioned attention!  I dare you.........just try to resist.


E News:  I'm sure many of you have wondered how E is doing (Creative Breathing).  She's mending from her knee surgery, going to physical therapy, but still hampered by swelling.  She unfortunately no longer has Internet so is not receiving emails, nor posting.  I can't guarantee she'll be back anytime soon, but she wanted me to let you all know that she misses you all dearly and wanted me to pass on a hello to you all.  Thank you all for keeping her in your prayers, it's been a little tough for her, but she's resilient and will continue to mend.


Hugs,
Meri



16 comments:

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Awww! I'd want Archie too, if I didn't already have one very crazy and wild wiener dog! Archie is too cute!
Thank you for the update on E. I sent her a little something a couple weeks ago, and hadn't heard if she got it. The no internet explains it, so I appreciate you letting us know! I hope she continues to mend!
Thanks so much Meri!
Erica :)

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

How adorable is Archie! He'd win my heart in a second. There is something about those doggie eyes, my Doyle gets whatever he wants when he gives me that look, or rolls over for a belly rub.

:) Pam

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awwwwww Archie is adorable!! I wish I could take him, but Dandy is a one dog show ... he is not a sharer :(

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I think Archie is a sweetie! I have my hands FULL with my 2!
I was just thinking about "E"! I sent her a card yesterday.
I also appreciate the update!
Warmly,
deb

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Archie! what a cutie! I never thought I could love a dog as much as I love my adopted grand dog, Butters!

Thanks for the update on E! ♥

Unknown said...

What a fun post! Your Archie sounds like my brother! Nothing will tie him down. He's a riot! Thank you so much for the update on our dear Elizabeth!

Patti said...

Doggies do have individual personalities, that's for sure, and your Archie sounds like Mr. Personality! Thanks for the update on sweet Elizabeth.!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

AWW Archie is so cute! Love the video of him! Too cute! Our dog Jerry does the roll over belly rub, how can you say no to that!? Lol. Thanks so much for an update on E! Good to hear about her, and wishing her well. Tell her we say Hi!! :) xo Holly

donna said...

Archie is cute and looks to be so sweet. I can see how you would give him anything he asks for.
I am glad to hear the Elizabeth is doing well. Please send her my love. Thank you so much for the update.
Hugs
donna

Marydon said...


What a cutie patooty! I can picture that lay back when he balks ...

Meri, I am on bloglovin' now ... so I hope you will join me there ... not fooling around with that google+ & circles stuff.

Have a beautiful week, my friend.
TTFN ~
Marydon

Perfectly Printed said...

What a sweet little pooch!! So happy to hear the "E" is doing well! Glad you are keeping us to date on her recovery!

Denise said...

Thank You for your comment and your visit :)I'm sorry you've been through so much,if you would like a prayer partner-that's Me :)Sweet little doggy.Your Sister sounds like one of My daughters,She is a vet tech. and has been bringing pets home since She was a little girl.All those tender hearted people just can't help their love of pets in need,I know God loves their tender hearts.

CoriLynn said...

I'm rather partial to doggies myself, and would no doubt have a whole pack if I had the room. For now, I just have my two darling pupsters. Archie sounds adorable! It is hard to be the mean mom when they look so cute!

Jenny said...

Archie is a cutie!

And he has great taste in shoes!

Beedeebabee said...

Gosh Meri, he's such a little cutie pie!
...Please tell E that I miss her and send her my love too. xo

Susan Clayton said...

How heartwarming to hear about people with a heart for animals. Blessing to you ALL!
Continued prayers for E! I still enjoy revisiting her blog. It stands on it's on, a complete work, whether or not she ever adds another post. She continues to touch lives in meaningful ways. Angels to you both.