Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

I'm afraid it's that time again!

My mom holding me at one week old

Hello lovely friends,

I'm afraid for whats coming up on Wednesday morning, I'm not afraid to mention just how worried I am.  In previous posts I've mentioned that my mom has had to have a lot of dental work done recently.  For the most part, she's gotten through a lot of it like a trooper and it hasn't been that much of a bother.  About a month ago she had a "rotted" wisdom tooth removed...........I know, I know, 81 years old and still had a wisdom tooth!  She made it through a week of antibiotics and seemed to be on the mend, however, a week after the removal and treatment she was still experiencing pain, swelling and numbness.  Last week I took her back to the dentist and he opened her up in the area around the jaw joint and found massive infection.  My mom's immune system is already compromised due to her lymphoma, micro colitis, diabetes, severe osteoporosis, angina.....yadda yadda yadda........the list goes on.  Anyhoo, in the process of trying to clean out the infection the dentist found a tumor.  He immediately stopped and we were sent to an oral surgeon on Thursday to hopefully have it removed.

If some of you remember, my mom suffered two years ago from many life threatening infections, one of them called C. diff, which nearly took her life three or four times.  If you click on my link I just provided in the sentence before this (and you should), you'll get the "Mayo Clinic" definition, then click on "symptoms."  I have to tell you folks........it is not a pretty, nice, or an easy infection.  Imagine if you will, my mom at 97 pounds, a broken right shoulder in a sling and a broken left hand in a cast and the most vile form of diarrhea in the world.  Please excuse the graphic nature of this post, and don't feel bad if you don't want to read any further, but those of us out there caring for our elders might be experiencing this right now.  My mom, bless her heart, would have explosive "episodes" nearly every hour on the hour at her worst point and every three to four hours at the better times. I, myself, have a lot of physical limitations and yet because I'm blessed with being available to her through my disability, she lived with us for six months and I bathed her daily.........multiple times, 24/7, and literally slept 15 feet from her on the couch so as to assist her during the night.  I'm not looking for pats on the back here folks, I'm giving you the info as to why my fear is extensive.  If you did read the article from the Mayo clinic, you'll have read that antibiotics have a tendency to bring this on in the elderly, especially those with compromised immune systems like my moms.

My mom will be having the tumor removed Wednesday morning, along with a bone biopsy and a debredement.  The oral surgeon has taken the past week to consult with an infectious disease doctor as well as my moms general practitioner, as he is very concerned.  He warned us that this is a serious infection and will not go away with the normal 7 day treatment of antibiotics.  She's going to need on-going antibiotics for possibly up to six months, administered through her power port which she still has in her chest for other treatments she receives and more chemo for her lymphoma should it pick up again.

Up to six months of antibiotics??????  Needless to say, my mom and I are scared.  If you could all please keep my mom in your prayers from now on, I would greatly appreciate it.

For anyone else out there caring for your family........God Bless you!

Hugs,
Meri

29 comments:

donna said...

Meri know that your mom will be in my prayers and thoughts.
Hugs
donna

Lutka And Co. said...

You are both such strong women - Sending you the best & prayers sent.
Hugs, Linda

Musings from Kim K. said...

Prayers coming your way. I'll be anxious for updates. Please post as you can. Hugs for you BOTH!

Krista @ The Heirloom Boutique said...

Meri,
I follow your blog but don't usually comment but felt compelled to today. I took care of my MIL who suffered from similar issues until she passed and more recently my own mother. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you have a long road ahead of you. Remember to take time to take care of yourself as well. I know that is easier said than done :)

Krista

vintage grey said...

Meri,
I am so sorry to hear this, and I am keeping your sweet mom and you in my prayers!! God is so good and will see her though this!! Sending you many big, big hugs and love! Blessings and praying!! xo Heather

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Count me in for the prayers and good wishes. Stay strong and give your mom and extra hug!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I will pray...it is about all I can do myself right now.

Debby said...

This sounds just terrible. I can't imagine how painful. I hope it goes well and she can tolerate the antibiotics. Glad they can do them through the port. (((((HUGS))))) and prayers.

vivian said...

Oh dear! your poor mom.. and poor you! You can count on my prayers.. It doesnt sound like a pleasant job.. but just think of all the times she did the same for you for the first few years of your life... I know.. totally different situation. I wish neither of you had to go through this.
xoxo and prayers!
vivian

Shirley Hatfield said...

Meri, you are one of the "angels among us." Caring, giving people like you are rare and precious. Your trials and hardships are not going unnoticed. I believe that uncounted blessings await you and your dear mother. Bless you, sweet Meri.

Scrap for Joy said...

I continue to marvel at the obstacles your sweet Mother (and you) have had to jump over or go around. My heart goes out to both of you. I will pray that the healing hand of God always takes care of her.
xoxo
Joyce

Mary Steinbrink said...

I'm avid reader, but don't usually comment. I will be praying for you and your mother. I helped care for my grandparents and I know what a challenge that can be. God provides many blessings and hope he will shower some on your family today.

Createology said...

Oh Meri I am so saddened by this news. Of course I will say prayers for your mom and your family. Bless you dear for being there and tending to your mom through so much. Your strength and courage is admirable. Bless you dear...

Shana M said...

Praying for your mother & you both! God Bless you both!!

Shana

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

I am sending prayers and positive thoughts to your Mom, and to you as you go through this especially difficult time. You are both courageous women.

chris mckinley said...

Sending prayers and good thought your way! I took care of both my my mom and dad, along with help from my husband and girls...hard, hard work! I would not have traded the opportunity to care for them for anything. You are a special lady, and I'm sure your mom appreciates all you do for her!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Oh I am so sorry Meri... my thoughts and prayers and HUGS will be with you and your Mama on Wednesday!!!

Tammy's in Love said...

Oh Miss Meri, I'm so sorry to hear that you are in for another round of tribulation. I did 'time' in Mayo here and it is a character building experience when we go thru these jags of illness. Know that we are praying for you both; strength and healing.

XXOO,
Tammy

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

So sorry to hear this Meri, please know that I'm keeping you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers. Sending big hugs, and blessings sweet friend, xo Holly

Dorothy Crutchfield said...

Oh, Meri, I'm so sorry. I will pray for her and for you.
Hugs, Dorothy

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Praying for you both! ♥

Short and Sweet said...

Meri, I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely momma and this horrible condition. My thoughts and prayers are with the both of you at this time. I, too, took care of my mom who passed away 20 days short of her 96th. birthday, so I understand the rigors of elder care. My best to you.
Loretta

Jenny said...

Oh Meri!

So very sorry to read this!

Your Mom is on my daily prayer list now, but I will definitely turn up the volume for her and all of her loved ones who worry so!

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

I am so sad to read this post Meri. I will pray for strength, for both of you.

CoriLynn said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your mom. My dear friend has cared for her father through two bouts of c-diff. I know what a toll it took on her. Please remember to take care of yourself too.
~xoxo, CoriLynn

Mary Walden said...

I can't imagine what you and your Mother are going through. I am so very sorry and my prayers are with you both. Mary

Tresa@710southmain said...

Hi Meri,

I'm so sorry. I will pray for you and your mother. I understand how scary it is...I went through something similar with my dad. It's very sad and difficult.

Hugs,
Tresa

E said...

Thoughts and prayers your way today Elaine

LBP said...

I am just now reading this..I haven't been online much lately. I hope and pray your mom will mend quickly from her surgery with no additional problems. My DH and I take care of my MIL with Alzheimers..it's not easy.

You both will be in my prayers.

Blessings

Linda