Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Fun, Fast, Halloween "Shrinky-Dink" Skelly tutorial



Howdy Ya'll,

Well, it's been a rough couple of weeks here at Casa ImagiMeri's Creations!  For my mom I've taken her to 6 doctor appointments, 2 different visits for blood work, a grocery run, 2 medication runs, 1 IVIG (immunoglobulin infusion), 2 CT scans one with contrast and one without.  For me I've had my eyes checked and my dental exam, not to mention a meeting of my local art girls doll exchange, a birthday party for my dear friend Laura and lunch with my oldest daughter...........whew!  For me, in this icky sticky, hot weather, it's a lot.  I'm fairly burned out, but I'm managing to get this tutorial up for ya'll so you can play.

The first image is for you to use as a print-out on "Shrinky-Dink" shrink film, or any brand of shrink film you can find.  Make sure you size the image to fit a standard 8.5" x 11" (portrait) size layout.  I took a graphic of a skeleton and added loops to the ends of each bone section where you will punch a hole after you've cut the pieces out.  

Please click on images for a larger view

Size and print this image on one sheet
of shrink film

These are the tools and supplies I used

This is the shrink film with the printed image
before cutting

This is after all the pieces have been cut out

A close up of the lower torso that is cut out
and ready to get the holes punched

Punching the hole using a standard
size paper hole punch

After the holes have been punched

Pieces with holes punched and prior
to shrinking

Creating a wire coil on the bamboo skewer
to make your jump rings

Wire coil taken off the bamboo skewer
Trim the top and bottom
Make sure your top cut and bottom
cut line up vertically
Start cutting from either end and cut one ring at a time
keeping all cuts along the vertical line

Cutting one ring at a time, you'll end up with individual
jump rings.  You'll need 14 jump rings for the skeleton
without a "throat" piece, and 15 if you use the "throat."
One piece included in the skeleton printout is the throat
piece, which I chose not to use.  You can use it if you
wish to elongate your skeleton.
You can shrink your pieces
in an oven all at the same time,
per shrink film instructions,
or you can shrink them individually
using a heat tool
Here's the top portion of the skeleton as I add jump
rings to it.
Here's the skeleton when I've finished
adding all the jump rings
Here's the skeleton with a pin
glued onto the back
Back side showing pin

I hope this tutorial was helpful, but if you have additional questions, please email me at meriw@cox.net.


The Putz houses can be decorated for any holiday.  This
one is decorated for Halloween


I'm letting you know now that for my next giveaway over the Labor Day weekend, those of you who are posting my "Putzin' Around" button and link to the event page will have an added advantage over others.

For those of you who are planning on attending "Putzin' Around," please hurry and pay for your spot as soon as possible as the seats are limited.  The cut-off date for signing up is October 9th.

Vintage goodies are arriving weekly, it's going to be amazing fun.

Hugs,
Meri

15 comments:

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh I remember Shrinky Dinks! How fun. Never thought about Putz Houses for Halloween but....I LIKE IT! :)

chris mckinley said...

Thanks for sharing the skeleton tutorial!!! Can you believe Halloween is so close?

Lynn @The Vintage Nest said...

this is an amazing tutorial...very thorough! I sure hope Mom is doing okay! xo

JoAnne said...

Thanks for the shrinky skeleton tutorial...fun piece! Love all the Halloween images on your blog too. I'm your newest follower!
JoAnne

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Your month has been crazy busy! YIKES! I loveeeeeeeeee the skeleton!! So fun!!

Denise said...

I'm a little confused,did You redo or start a new blog ? I remember You stopped blogging for awhile.Every time I wanted to comment it sent Me to Your old blog.First time I've seen this blog.Your so talented My dear,cute Halloween craft :)Hugs to You Denise

Marydon Ford said...

This is too stinkin' cute! You are amazing Meri. Wish I were into crafting, not!

TTFN ~
Marydon

Musings from Kim K. said...

You certainly have had a full month of doctor offices. You know I'm totally loving your skeleton tutorial. Bring on all things Halloween! I'm in denial about the end of summer, but I'm ready to play with all things Halloween!

vivian said...

I hope life slows down a little bit for you now. Youre always after me to take care and now its my turn to get after you. so please do take care and get some breaks in for yourself. (hugs!!)
LOVE the skelly!!! I have got to make some of those!! I just have to add it to my memory bank! lol
happy day Meri!
xoxo
vivian

Scrap for Joy said...

Don't you hate the fact that you can sound like a medical dictionary? I know more medical terminology now than I did 10 years ago...not a good sign!
I don't know if I have the patience for the skeleton shrinky dink but it sure is clever!!!
xoxo
Joyce

vintage grey said...

Such a full week and month! Hoping things slow down a little for you! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial!! Have a wonderful week! xo Heather

Blessed Serendipity said...

The skeleton and the house are really cute Meri. I remember making things with shrink plastic. The wonder of it is still the same for me - watching it twist and turn through the oven door until it shrunk. It sounds like your mom has been through quite a bit lately. Hope she is feeling better.

xo Danielle

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What a cute skeleton! Thanks for sharing him and your directions with us! I was thinking he would make cute earrings! :) xo Holly

Createology said...

Oh my goodness Miss Meri you have really done Shrinky Dinks fabulous with your uber cute skeleton. Thank you for sharing your excellent techniques. Creative Bliss Dear...

Melody said...




Hi Meri! Thanks for stopping by.
I;m in and out at your blog too...
it sure brightens my day even tho I can't always leave a message.













h