Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

ARTzona 2014 Goodie Bags


Hello Folks,

Well I'm off for ARTzona!  Okay, I only have to drive 25 miles, but it feels like a getaway.  Today we set the ballroom of the Mesa Hyatt up to receive over 40 amazing artists from around the world......very exciting.

As I mentioned before, my lil sis and I were in charge of the goodie bags.  My sister Jen and I spent a few long days hitting up businesses (local) for bag stuffers (yes, we got some shopping in too) and I think the goodie bags are extra special this year.

I came up with the design for the bags, but it was a team effort to assemble them.  We used off white cotton totes that we found online for $.80 each which includes shipping.  We bought a little bit of fabric and tulle at the local fabric outlet called SAS, but for the most part, I already had everything else on hand.  I ordered button kits for the over 2.5 inch buttons that I then covered with our logo printed out on cotton fabric.   Thousands of circles of  fabric in various sizes ranging from 5.5" all the way down to 2.5" were cut.  We then layered the various layers and hand stitched and "tucked" the rounds so that we could hot glue the completed buttons on top........this creates our "sun."  This is also a removable pin, so it can be left on the bag or worn (see the closeup below).  I also made a pattern for the cacti (plural for multiple cactus) and the ground.  I then sewed (with a zigzag stitch) various layers of different colors and fabrics together to create "appliques."  Our group convened on a Thursday a few weeks ago and hot glued like crazy to assemble 40 bags.  On the following Thursday we all gathered again and stuffed the bags.






Extra goodies are supplied by myself, my friend Sharon,
and Jenny Wallick.

Little crafting extras like ribbons and rolls of handmade
paper scraps.

Vendors such as "Dick Blick" and "Jerrys Artarama"
were very generous in donations.

Coupons and various local business advertising.

Well that's all I have for now, I've gotta go get ready to leave and help set up.  I'll be back next week with piccy's from the event.

Big Hugs,
Meri


7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

How fun! Loving that tote bag!!!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How wonderful everything looks! I know you'll have tons of fun! Give everyone a hug for me! Sweet hugs from Florida, Diane

Tammy's in Love said...

What a clever idea on the bag! You did a great job making it look like AZ and being creative.

Sandy McClay said...

WOW....you did an awesome job on those bags! Have a GREAT time!!! Talk to you when you are back...:)

Montanagirl said...

Sounds like a great time - love those totes!

Musings from Kim K. said...

You are so darn creative. Those tote bags are fantastic. Enjoy the show and have loads of fun!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Nice and sunny gift bags! Wish I was there, in the warmth of AZ!
Enjoy your event.
Warmly,
deb